The concept of Cambridge Friends School originated with members of Friends Meeting at Cambridge in the spring of 1958. After three years of planning, the school opened on September 23, 1961, with 60 students and seven faculty in the rented basement of St. James Episcopal Church in Cambridge. These three years in the church basement were years of growth, both of the school's identity as a community of children and adults learning together and in size, since another grade was added each year.
As the school continued its growth, it became evident that CFS needed its own building. After a thorough search, land was purchased on what was then called Sheridan Place and Tom Waring, head of school, led the school in a groundbreaking ceremony on October 23, 1963. The name Cadbury Road was chosen to honor the many Quaker Cadburys who had been active in Friends Meeting at Cambridge since its formation.
Eleven months later, the school opened in its new location with seven classes, covering kindergarten through seventh grade, and a staff of 22, only nine of whom were full time.
Since its early years, CFS has continued to build upon the vision of the first School Committee. The school has developed a socially conscious, interdisciplinary curriculum, using a child-centered approach to education that promotes a love of learning and life-long inquiry. Celebrating the light within each child and adult, CFS is truly a community of learners.